Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Brush Protectors



I saw Brush Protectors featured in Real Simple Magazine, and I thought they were a great idea!  When I travel by plane, I can't take my makeup box, so I have to down size and throw a few things in a bag.  This is not so great for my makeup brushes.  They look pretty haggard by the time I am unpacking at home.

So, you can buy a set here at Sephora for $8, which isn't a bad price, or you can make your own for literally pennies!  Here's how.
At your local fabric store, you can buy nylon net, which is like tulle, only the "holes" are bigger and the material is stronger.  There is a bit of stretch to it, which is perfect for this project.

You will need:
-Nylon net (your choice of color!  I chose black, but they have white, red, pink, etc.)  You'll only need a foot, which will leave a lot of leftover material, and only cost me $0.32.
-Needle
-Thread
-Scissors
-Thin ribbon (optional)
1.  Wrap net over your brush, and make a snip where there is about a half inch of overlap.  Continue to cut along that snipped line.  Cut a rectangle that will go about halfway down your brush.

2.  Fold over the net and stitch along the edge to create your cylinder.  Once stitched completely from tip to tip, turn in right side in (or inside out?).

3.  That could have been the end of the project for you.  I thought it would be fun to add a little ribbon to the tip of my brush protector though!  I weaved the ribbon through the very top of the netting.


That's it!  When you are ready to use, you slide the base of your brush through the top of the protector, then slide it up over the brush.  If you used a ribbon, you can now tie you bow!

Thanks for stopping by!
-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment